Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Orks, bugs, and my painting evolution

Years ago I never blended colors together, or if I did, it was rather limited.  I painted with whatever was in the pot, and attempted to use another similar color in the pot if I did attempt to mix paint.  I never forced perspective, and did not give two hoots about what I read in Shep Paine's great tome of wisdom about building dioramas.  Arrogance of youth you might say.

Fast forward to when I took a 2D Design course as my Humanities Elective at my local community college (after all, if I need the credit, might as well have some fun...).  We took the primary colors in acrylic, and mixed them to get our color range.  We did limited palletes where we merely painted in a single color or de-saturated palletes, and all the wonderful other color concepts (to include black and white).  It only took a few years before I started exploiting this knowledge for my game miniatures.  You've seen the results before (in previous posts).  

Well, here are some pictures needing shared here on Sudsy's Tactics of the results of these experiments.  My memory is a bit foggy as to the exact pallete, but it involves the Delta Ceramcoat paint I've raved about before.  Well, my photography got better as well...  For the most part.




This is my Ork Nob for either Warhammer 40,000 or Gorkamorka.  This was a more recent use of both a wet pallete and more advanced forms of blending and forced perspective (thanks Shep Paine, I finally figured out what you meant, even if I don't have the full stop sign yet...).  However, this was not the first project...



My hive tyrant was my first us of what I learned in that 2D design course.  In fact, I used the same paint from that course thinned down considerably (after all, it was Liquitex Basics tubes...).  I loved the result, and I know it is NOT a completed model (yet).  I hesitate to complete it lest I ruin it...



This Carnifex is how I started out.  I cringe to think about how I left 1:1 scale lighting to do the work on a 28mm figure.  Sure, it works alright for a large bug like this...  But only 'alright' to 'sorta'.  Guess I can say that 2D design course was worth more than the Humanities Credit I took it for in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment