Monday, January 4, 2021

04JAN2021 - Stryker Interior Detailing! A decade of WIP...

 So, my most recent posting about my 1:35 AFV Club TACP Stryker build was all the way back in June of 2009...  That is 10.5 years ago, but lets round up...  errr...  Okay, maybe not...  OUCH!

Well, during that time, I am glad it sat on shelves and in boxes, not touched.  I discovered some much needed details I wanted to add from the start 12 years ago when I bought the kit in the first place.  Namely, interior details by Black Dog models out of the Czech Republic on Amazon.  I am going to modify the M1126 interior detail kit to suit my memory and reference photos of the M1130 I lived in for a time.  Sure, not all of the details are going to be present, but that is fine with me (and Operations Security [OPSEC]).  90% of what I remember is there, albeit in a slightly different location.  Not a problem what so ever really.  I'm not going for 100% gnats arse accuracy, just general shapes on the inside.  Most of my issues are going to be covered up by aramid (Kevlar as a brand name of the ballistic cloth) blankets on the floor of the Stryker anyway.

After some grinding, and forgive me for not getting dimensions from starting to finish... I forget how long ago I found the Black Dog interior kit (years, like five or so...) and I started the process with my rotary tool way back then...  I finished with a rasp and some rough sand paper last night.






As you can see, not everything fits perfectly.  This is my fault alone as I am taking an M1126 detail kit to a completely different kit and modifying it.  Such a gap, as shown with my calipers, is going to be largely out of view.  Sure, I intend to make the top and bottom mate with magnets to show details; but like I said, we used A LOT of Kevlar blankets on the floor of the Strykers when we rolled out.  Such gaps are easily hidden with legitimate stacks of rations, ammo cans, and Kevlar blankets, even near the escape hatch.  There is a reason Stryker Brigades kept soldiers alive more than other units until other mine resistant vehicles came online.  


No comments:

Post a Comment